Devocalisation - NLPR speaks out
Devocalisation is the deliberate burning of a parrot's syrinx by physical heat, administration of chemicals or by radio-surgery. It is in itself painful and often damages adjacent structures such as the oesophagus. Birds often do not survive the process: those that do, emerge physically and emotionally harmed.
With the intention of forcing a formal statement from the American AAV, New Life Parrot Rescue wrote to the organisation in April 2000:
The AAV replied (eventually)
The AAV responded...
Finally the AAV wrote...
Important: Not unexpectedly, good people are outraged by the barbaric surgery described here but it is not the intention of NLPR to incite personal warfare against individual vets.
Want to know how you can help stop this?
- Complain to the Association of Avian Veterinarians in writing or send an email to: AAV Central Office, Ethics & Peer Review Committee Chair, PO Box 811720, Bocaratron, Florida 33481-1720. USA. Email: aavctrlofc [at] aol [dot] com
- Tell all your friends and associates
- Email them the URL of this page
- Discuss the matter with your vet - get him to complain to the AAV
- If you have a web site then create a page like this one on it
- Post messages to internet bird and animal newsgroups describing this awful practice